Brian G. Miller
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Columbus and Worthington, Ohio
Columbus attorney Brian G. Miller is the founder and President of Brian G. Miller Co., L.P.A., an Ohio personal injury law firm with offices in Worthington and Columbus serving clients in Central and Southern Ohio and statewide.
Brian focuses his practice on representing people who have been injured due to the negligence of others. Committed to achieving meaningful results in every case, Brian prides himself most of all on his hands-on, personal approach and the positive relationships he builds with his clients through direct and ongoing client interaction. Brian’s comprehensive personal injury practice encompasses the following areas, among others:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Wrongful Death
- Construction Injuries
- Premises Liability
- Workplace Injuries
- General Negligence
- Slip and Fall Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Pedestrian Accidents
Brian’s successes include achieving a nearly $35 million verdict for a client in 2017 which ranked as one of the largest verdicts anywhere in the nation that year, the largest verdict in Ohio in 2017, and the largest verdict ever in Union County. He has also had particular success representing workers injured on the job in cases involving employer intentional torts or third-party liability. He has represented athletes and others who sustained the most severe and catastrophic injuries on the road. Brian currently serves as outside counsel to the NHL’s Columbus Blue Jackets.
As a former Assistant Franklin County Prosecutor, Brian has a great deal of trial experience which enhances his ability to litigate injury cases and obtain excellent results for his clients through settlement or trial, many times in the six- and seven-figure range. He has been honored numerous times and recognized by a number of legal organizations for his skills and abilities in providing quality, professional representation to his clients.
Originally from New Jersey, Brian is a long-time resident of Columbus, Ohio who makes his home here with his wife Susan, who is a local real estate agent, and their three children. He coaches his son’s baseball team and enjoys watching all of his children pursue their athletic endeavors. He is a member of St. Peter’s Parish and the Agonis Club of Columbus.
- The Ohio State University, Moritz College of Law
- Juris Doctor (1994)
- The Arthur L. and Cora S. Evans Scholar
- The Ohio State University
- Bachelor of Science in Economics, English minor (1991)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Summa Cum Laude with Honors
- Ohio State Outstanding Senior Award; President’s Leadership Citation; Sphinx Senior Honorary
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy
- Ft. Lauderdale, Florida (1999)
- Ohio Academy of Trial Lawyers’ Trial Advocacy Workshop
- Columbus, Ohio (1998)
- Ohio Prosecuting Attorney’s Association Conference on Trial Practice
- Columbus, Ohio (1999)
Professional Honors And Distinctions
- The Best Lawyers in America® (2013-Present)
- Ohio Super Lawyers (2010-present)
- Recognition: Ohio Top 100 List and Columbus Top 50 List
- Super Lawyers Rising Star (2005-2007)
- America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators (2017-Present)
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 (2017-Present)
- Million Dollar Advocates’ Forum
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Martindale-Hubbell Pre-Eminent ‘AV’ Rating
- Highest rating for legal ability and ethical standards
- Martindale-Hubbell Client Champion, Gold Distinction
- Central Ohio Association for Justice ‘Louisville Slugger’ Verdict Award (2012, 2018)
- ‘Tireless efforts and fight’ resulted in a verdict which ‘hit one out of the park’ for justice.
- Top 100 Verdicts, United States (2017); Highest verdict in history of Union County, Ohio
- State of Ohio (1994)
- United States District Court: Southern District of Ohio (1994)
- United States District Court: Northern District (1998)
Memberships and Professional Activities
- American Association for Justice
- Ohio Association for Justice
- Supreme Court Candidate Screening Committee
- OAJ Board of Directors
- Executive Committee for two OAJ Presidents
- Central Ohio Association for Justice
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Columbus Bar Association
- CBA Judicial Screening Committee
- Brian G. Miller Co., L.P.A., President and Owner (2004 – present)
- Founded and currently manage general plaintiffs’ practice law firm. Handle all pre-litigation, litigation, and appellate aspects of client matters with a substantive focus on general negligence, motor vehicle and bicycle accidents, construction, workplace, and premises claims, including significant personal injury and wrongful death claims. Manage all business and administrative aspects of the firm’s operation.
- Outside Legal Counsel, Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL) (2006 – present)
- Litigation consultant and practitioner: Contract disputes, collection efforts, arbitrations.
- Of Counsel, Campbell Hornbeck Chilcoat & Veatch, LLC (2005 – 2015)
- Litigation consultant and practitioner: Business disputes, contract claims, workers compensation and employment issues, miscellaneous civil litigation
- Frank A. Ray Co., L.P.A. (1998 – 2004)
- Managed a broad docket of cases from case intake to completion. General plaintiffs’ firm with similar substantive focus to current practice. Significant negotiation experience; direct management of numerous files of significant value to resolution. Also supervised a support staff inclusive of law clerks, paralegal, secretary, and other administrative support.
- Associate Legal Counsel, Columbus Clippers Baseball Team (1998 – 2005)
- Managed a variety of issues with respect to the legal administration of this organization including contract negotiation, workers’ compensation and personnel issues, liquor law enforcement, and litigation matters. Also served as associate legal counsel to the International League of which the Clippers are a member.
- Office of The Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney (1993 – 1998)
Assistant Prosecuting Attorney
- Trial Staff (1996 – 1998)
Prosecuted adult felony cases for Franklin County (Common Pleas Court); handled 12-15 cases per week, including first-degree through fifth-degree felonies. Approximately 20 jury trials and four capital murder case assignments.
- Grand Jury Division (1996)
Represented the State of Ohio at criminal disposition hearings, Municipal Court arraignments, preliminary hearings; investigated police filings, reviewed criminal packets; presented case evidence to Grand Jury. Re-drafted approximately one-half of office’s standard indictment forms after 1996 legislation (Senate Bill 2) restructured Ohio substantive criminal law and sentencing guidelines.
- Juvenile Division (1994 – 1995)
Responsible for prosecution and management of misdemeanor, felony, delinquency, abuse and neglect cases involving juveniles. Over 30 judge/magistrate trials; numerous ‘bind-over’ prosecutions.
- Trial Staff (1996 – 1998)
- The American Red Cross, Blood Service Board of Directors (2011-2018)
- Joint Committee on Local Accountability (Red Cross and Central Ohio Hospitals: 2012 – present)
- Agonis Club, Member (2005-present)
- Scholarship Selection Committee (2007)
- The Ohio State University
- Sphinx Senior Honorary
- 100th Anniversary Steering and Planning Committee (2005 – 2007)
- Sphinx Plaza, Committee Chair (2006 – 2010)
- Ohio Union, Sphinx Room Committee (2007)
- Volunteer, Moritz College of Law
- Politics, Society, and Law – Scholar’s Luncheon, Guest and Mentor
- Youth Baseball Coach, Worthington, Ohio
- Volunteer, St. Andrew Catholic Church; Member, St. Peter Catholic Church