Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Columbus Personal Injury Attorney > Blog > Car Accident > What To Do When the Car Accident Police Report Is Wrong

What To Do When the Car Accident Police Report Is Wrong


After the police are called to a car accident scene, they will usually write an accident report. A car accident police report captures crucial details such as the time, date, location, witness statements, parties involved, and the police officer’s accident assessment. A police report can play a crucial role in legal claims. However, though the police are trained to investigate accidents and prepare accident reports, they are human and can make mistakes. So, what happens when a police report contains inaccuracies? This article discusses what to do when a police report about a car accident is wrong.

Mistakes That Can Be Found in a Car Accident Police Report

The following are some of the common mistakes that can be found in a car accident police report;

  • Factual errors: A police officer can get several facts wrong. For example, they may enter the wrong date, time, location, or make of vehicle. A police officer may also include the wrong road conditions or weather description.
  • Inaccurate statements: For example, a police report may contain inaccuracies in witness statements. Such inaccuracies can impact fault determination.
  • Omissions: An officer may have left out crucial information about the accident, such as details about the injuries sustained.
  • Typos: Typos, such as misspellings, can occur in a police report. Such mistakes can seem minor, but they can affect the accuracy and clarity of a police report.

While most police reports are accurate, some contain these and many other errors. And while some mistakes are minor, some can significantly affect the outcome of a case.

Steps To Take if the Car Accident Police Report Is Wrong

There is a statute of limitations for filing car accident lawsuits in Ohio. According to Ohio law, you generally have two years to file a car accident lawsuit. Therefore, if you notice any mistakes in the police report about your car accident, you need to act first. Here’s what to do when faced with a wrong car accident police report;

Gather Evidence

After identifying the errors in the police report, you should gather any evidence that can help substantiate your claim that the report is inaccurate. Such evidence can include pictures from the accident scene, video footage, and witness statements.

Contact the Police Department

Next, reach out to the police department responsible for preparing the report. Politely ask how to go about disputing or amending errors in accident reports. Be ready to provide an explanation of the mistakes and supporting evidence.

File a Supplemental Report

File a supplemental report to provide additional information or correct the errors (if this option is available). The officer may also be willing to amend the report.

Submit a Formal Amendment Request

If the police department does not acknowledge the error or refuses to correct it, you can file a formal amendment request. This report should include a detailed explanation of the error and supporting evidence.

Seek Legal Guidance

If the police report pertaining to your accident contains errors, consider consulting an attorney with experience handling car accident cases. An attorney can guide you on how to go about having the inaccuracies corrected.

Contact a Columbus Car Accident Attorney

From correcting police report errors to filing your compensation claim, our Columbus car accident lawyers at the law firm of Brian G. Miller CO., L.P.A., are here to guide you through these tough times. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Contact Us